Supervisors propose increased funding for youth services

(9)
José-Luis Mejia, associate director of Transitional-Age Youth SF, said more funding is needed for marginalized youth.

José-Luis Mejia says he’s seen a little bit of everything in his work with transitional-age youth.

A few have died suddenly; others wound up incarcerated. Then there are those who beat the odds by attending top-level universities, opening up their own businesses, or dedicating themselves to public service.

When a mentor interacts with youth aging out of foster care, Mejia said, “you don’t know what that young person is going through.” He himself had the experience of turning his life around as a young person after growing up in a violent household; he credits publically funded programs for at-risk youth with supporting his transformation.

As associate director of Transitional Age Youth San Francisco, Mejia was part of a grassroots coalition that has been working for about two years on crafting a measure that aims to increase funding for youth programs, seeking to give a boost to transitional-age youth services in particular.

The culmination of that effort was today’s introduction at the Board of Supervisors of a suite of new proposals to support youth programs, including a pair of charter amendments that will appear on the November ballot.

The first, sponsored by Sup. John Avalos with Sups. David Campos, Malia Cohen, Jane Kim, Norman Yee, and London Breed as cosponsors, would renew the existing Children’s Fund, renaming it the Children and Youth Fund, and increasing the property-tax set-aside that supports it from three cents per $100 of assessed valuation to five cents.

Throughout the room at a press conference held in City Hall today with members of the Board and a coalition of youth advocates, attendees sported hats with neon stickers that read: “Our kids are worth two cents.”

As part of this measure, funding would be designated for programs set up to aid “disconnected transitional-aged youth,” including homeless or disabled youth, unmarried parents, those who identify as LGBTQ or are aging out of foster care, and other specified categories. The amendment would also create a Commission on Children, Youth, and Their Families, to oversee the Department of Children Youth and their families.

“At the end of this process, I hope to have the support of eleven members of the board,” Avalos noted. However, members of the Board of Supervisors who are sponsoring the legislation have already received from pushback from Mayor Ed Lee, who has reportedly been pressuring supervisors not to support Avalos' measure. (Lee's press office did not return a call seeking comment.)

“As we all know, San Francisco is experiencing incredible economic activity,” Avalos said at this afternoon’s press conference. “We’re experiencing growth and speculation that is lifting many boats, but not lifting all boats. And some of the people who are not doing so well are children and families – we’ve seen a decline in our population of families with children, over the past few decades, and it’s time that we … put the resources forward that are going to make it possible for San Francsicans and families to find affordability here.”

A second, closely related charter amendment, carried by Sup. Jane Kim with Yee as a cosponsor, would renew the Public Education Enrichment Fund, eliminate its expiration date, and provide for universal access to early childhood education for kids between three and five years instead of starting at age four.

The Public Education Enrichment Fund and the Children’s Fund, created after being placed on the ballot in 1991, currently set aside over $100 million for children and youth in San Francisco. The funding sources would sunset if action were not taken to extend them.

Comments

some money is being diverted from their pay?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

It's better for society if aging foster kids either die suddenly or spend their lives incarcerated for not having parents.

Posted by Reginald Ponce-Hargreaves III on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 10:16 am

Yes, they need to own their personal responsibility for being born to the wrong parents.

Posted by marcos on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 10:54 am

that is being diverted to kids?

Seniors? The mentally ill? The disabled? The homeless?

Posted by Guest on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 11:09 am

The answer is that none of this money will be diverted to kids. It will go to pay salaries of the members of the Commission on Children, Youth, and Their Families, to oversee the employees of the Department of Children Youth and their families. More money to city employees - not more money to kids.

Posted by Richmondman on Apr. 30, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

Have you been following the Children's Fund and/or read the piece of legislation in its entirety? Commissioners will be paid a stipend--not a salary. You're totally wrong; in fact, the statement you made clearly shows that--in the simplest terms--you don't what you're talking about.

-JC, policy wonk

Posted by Guest on May. 24, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

Hello I am Dr alexzander from Africa and I am good in spell making, because I inherent my power from my ancestors and have been helping people solve their problems. if you
need a right place to solve your problems
contact DR
alexzander SPELL TEMPLE am the right
choice. I am a
great spell man that have been casting spells with
years of
experience. i can cast spells for different
purposes like
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) Herbal care
(10) If you can't be able to satisfy your wife
sex desire due
to low erraction.
(11) if your menstruation refuse to come
out the day it
suppose or over flows.
(12) if your work refuse to pay your, people
owing you?.
(13) solve a land issue and get it back.
(14) Did your family Denny you of your
right?
(15) Let people obey my words and do my
wish.
(16) Do you have a low sperm count?
(17) Case solve E.T.C
free to contact him at
alexzanderhightemple@gmail.com and
tell him what you need to do,to be saved.
this is the form you will fill to ask for my help.
YOUR FULL NAME
YOUR LOVER NAME.
YOUR COUNTRY..
YOUR BOTH PHOTOS.
YOUR AGE..
YOUR OCCUPATION..
YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER.
YOUR COUNTRY ZIP CODE.
Once you provide me with this information of yourself and tell me what you want me to do for you. all of your sorrow we be all over.
You all are bless as you contact me for help.

Posted by dr alexzander on May. 19, 2014 @ 5:43 am

need a right place to solve your problems
contact DR
alexzander SPELL TEMPLE am the right
choice. I am a
great spell man that have been casting spells with
years of
experience. i can cast spells for different
purposes like
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) Herbal care
(10) If you can't be able to satisfy your wife
sex desire due
to low erraction.
(11) if your menstruation refuse to come
out the day it
suppose or over flows.
(12) if your work refuse to pay your, people
owing you?.
(13) solve a land issue and get it back.
(14) Did your family Denny you of your
right?
(15) Let people obey my words and do my
wish.
(16) Do you have a low sperm count?
(17) Case solve E.T.C
free to contact him at
alexzanderhightemple@gmail.com and
tell him what you need to do,to be saved.
this is the form you will fill to ask for my help.
YOUR FULL NAME
YOUR LOVER NAME.
YOUR COUNTRY..
YOUR BOTH PHOTOS.
YOUR AGE..
YOUR OCCUPATION..
YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER.
YOUR COUNTRY ZIP CODE.
You all are bless as you contact me for help.

Posted by dr alexzander on May. 19, 2014 @ 5:45 am

need a right place to solve your problems
contact DR
alexzander SPELL TEMPLE am the right
choice. I am a
great spell man that have been casting spells with
years of
experience. i can cast spells for different
purposes like
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be
yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) Herbal care
(10) If you can't be able to satisfy your wife
sex desire due
to low erraction.
(11) if your menstruation refuse to come
out the day it
suppose or over flows.
(12) if your work refuse to pay your, people
owing you?.
(13) solve a land issue and get it back.
(14) Did your family Denny you of your
right?
(15) Let people obey my words and do my
wish.
(16) Do you have a low sperm count?
(17) Case solve E.T.C
free to contact him at
alexzanderhightemple@gmail.com and
tell him what you need to do,to be saved.
this is the form you will fill to ask for my help.
YOUR FULL NAME
YOUR LOVER NAME.
YOUR COUNTRY..
YOUR BOTH PHOTOS.
YOUR AGE..
YOUR OCCUPATION..
YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER.
YOUR COUNTRY ZIP CODE.
You all are bless as you contact me for help.

Posted by dr alexzander on May. 19, 2014 @ 5:45 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Also from this author

• Rec & Park cancels meeting on controversial renaming of Golden Gate Park building

• Naming of a park facility sparks political fight

• Two views of the waterfront

Controversial developments proposed for Port of San Francisco property trigger public debate about who should control the city's valuable edge